Friday, May 7, 2010

I am Apparently a Morbid SOB

I now have five "dark tourism" points. I didn't realize until now that I have engaged in what could be called a pattern of behavior. The five points I have are:

1. Columbine High School

2. The Branch Davidian compound outside Waco, TX, which a) is still there and staffed by Davidians and b) where I announced myself at the gate as Janet Reno, and then drove away quickly

3. Anton Lavey's last house (I picked some seed pods from noxious black weeds on the lot and planted them at my old house in Berkeley and my mom's house in Pennsylvania so there could be a sequel but so far, to my knowledge no scary music has started playing in either place, and there's not even a general sense of foreboding)

4. The last location of the Jim Jones church (where I led a run and had the group celebrate by drinking spiked grape Kool-Aid instead of our usual beer)

5. And as of this week, the Heaven's Gate house. von Neumann comets or not, boys, bad idea.


Apparently they're developing the Jim Jones site in Guyana as a "dark tourism" site, but I find that offensive. Because then you would be paying to be briefly amused by human suffering and death (instead of seeing it for free).

No comments: